We Care About the Community
Our SERVPRO team helped DMARC collect food for those in need.
Our SERVPRO team is dedicated to building a strong community, giving back when we can. Last month, SERVPRO of Des Moines SW/East volunteered with the Des Moines Area Religious Council to collect food donations to the DMARC Food Pantry Network for their Halloween on the Hill event. Overall, six pallets of food were collected for those in need. This event was also in collaboration with Historic Sherman Hill, Principal Financial Group and Young Professionals Connection to give back. SERVPRO also participates in many other community and volunteering events throughout the year. This list includes being a part of Houses into Homes, hosting a blood drive, donating school supplies for students going back to school, being a part of multiple food drives and sponsoring Iowa Children’s Museum events. We work to not only support businesses and residents experiencing mold, fire or water damage but also the community as a whole, growing as a team. Our SERVPRO of Des Moines SW/East team is dedicated to the community and our customers, making us a reliable option for any disaster that could happen to your home or business.
We Strive to Continue to Learn
Training helps to make sure that you are getting the best possible service.
SERVPRO of Des Moines East & SW can assist with a large variety of disasters including water damage, fire damage, mold remediation, storm damage, and cleaning services. Our SERVPRO team strives to constantly be prepared for any situation by doing the proper training for equipment and products. We, here at SERVPRO, make sure to give our team the necessary tools to be successful out on the job and one of the biggest tools is the knowledge, information, and ability needed to complete the task at hand. Team members maintain several certifications under the Institute of Inspection Cleaning Restoration Certification (IICRC). These include Water Removal Technician, Odor Control Technician, Fire and Smoke Technician, Carpet Cleaning Technician, and Health and Safety Technician among many others. Training aids in improving employee performance, enhancing team morale, and promoting innovation in new strategies and products. All lead to service that exceeds the competition. We strive to be as knowledgeable in our field as we can be to provide exceptional customer service. Our SERVPRO of Des Moines East & SW is committed to a solutions-based mentality and continuing to grow our knowledge and certifications to help when the time calls.
The Importance of a Live Burn
This is a broken CSST flexible gas line that ignited gas and released a jet of fire.
Last week, the Ankeny Fire Department along with EFI Global and our SERVPRO of Des Moines East & SW franchise helped set up a live burn for insurance adjusters and risk managers to help them gain knowledge to make informed decisions when processing claims. Several large boxes were built by our SERVPRO team with drywall to simulate an actual room. Furniture was donated to help show how different fire scenarios can alter a home. Before the live burns, adjustors were able to learn about the science behind how certain fires are started, analyzing the speed and power behind the separate fires. One of the burns was created by a broken CSST flexible gas line which is utilized to run gas to appliances. The situation brought about a non-grounded line that developed a pin hole from an electricity arc. The gas then leaks out and catches fire from the arc of electricity, igniting the gas and creating a jet of fire. Another scenario was meant to show how quickly fires in a corner with several pieces of furniture next to each other erupt. Live burn events are beneficial to understand the effects of the fire, analyzing the speed of fire as well as the way it spreads and how different contents and structural materials are affected. It’s also important for them to know the effects of soot and smoke throughout the environment and how different fires start from separate structural materials.
SERVPRO at Your Commercial Business
As the winter season approaches, be sure to have your business ready for whatever happens by making sure SERVPRO of Des Moines East & SW is your first call when disaster strikes. Programming our phone number 515-244-5511 into your cell phone gives you the number you need at a quick button click on your phone. We understand firsthand how critical it is to get your commercial space back up and running after a water loss or fire loss. At SERVPRO, we are ready to respond fast to any size disaster and get your commercial space back to "Like it never even happened." We use state of the art technology to map moisture and set drying equipment quickly to mitigate any size loss day or night. We have technicians ready at a moment’s notice to respond to your commercial space quickly and start the cleanup process. We are the trusted leader in storm and water restoration. Call 24/7, 365 to get emergency cleanup service for your commercial space. Getting your business back to working and reducing business interruption is important to us too.
Fire Clean Up By a Trained Crew
After a fire strikes your life you need to have a trusted company cleanup the damage properly. SERVPRO of Des Moines East & SW is the trusted leader in fire cleanup. We are a preferred vendor for many insurance companies making the process that much easier for you. We can handle everything from pack out to overseeing reconstruction services. We specialize in Fire and Smoke restoration and spend hundreds of hours training our techs the extensive cleaning processes. No fire is the same. We are faster to any size disaster and can make your fire loss "Like it never even happened." At SERVPRO we use a restore vs. replace mentality meaning you can get your original items back in most cases and your structure restored quicker. Call SERVPRO of Des Moines East & SW if you have fire or smoke damage today! Our crews will respond 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Ready To Help You Clean Up - Large Loss Truck
Inside our Des Moines Large Loss Truck. This truck is stocked all the time and ready to roll.
We have added another large loss truck to our fleet this truck is located at our Des Moines shop and is stocked and ready for whatever happens. SERVPRO is here to help with your commercial water and fire mitigation projects with our fleet of equipment. SERVPRO of Des Moines East and SW is ready with equipment and materials stocked all the time and ready to roll in a moments notice. Our shop located on the SE side of Des Moines is located in a great location for us to be to any part of Des Moines in 30 minutes or even to areas around the state with in 4 hours. With equipment ready all the time and the truck gassed up we can leave with just a moments notice. Here to help you with fast mitigation services. It carries over 120 air movers, 10 dehumidifiers, and 4 flood pumpers. This will be one of the first trucks to a large commercial loss followed up by our new 53’ semi trailer that is fully stocked and ready to roll as well with equipment and consumables.
Halloween Fire Safety Tips by the Fire Clean Up Team - SERVPRO
Use these pumpkin glow sticks in your pumpkins and decorations for a fire safe haloween.
Halloween fire safety is very important and SERVPRO of Des Moines East & SW is here with these safety tips.
- Use a battery-operated candle or glow-stick in jack-o-lanterns. If you use a real candle, use extreme caution. Make sure children are watched at all times when candles are lit. When lighting candles inside jack-o-lanterns, use long, fireplace-style matches or a utility lighter. Be sure to place lit pumpkins well away from anything that can burn and far enough out of the way of trick-or-treaters, doorsteps, walkways, and yards.
- Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper catch fire easily. Keep all decorations away from open flames and other heat sources like light bulbs and heaters.
- Tell children to stay away from open flames including jack-o-lanterns with candles in them. Be sure they know how to stop, drop and roll if their clothing catches fire.
Halloween fire facts
- From 2009-2013, decorations were the item first ignited in an estimated average of 860 reported home structure fires per year.
- Nearly half of decoration fires in homes occurred because the decorations were too close to a heat source.
- These fires caused an estimated average of one civilian death, 41 civilian injuries, and $13 million in direct property damage per year.
- Forty-one percent of these incidents were started by candles; one-fifth began in the living room, family room, or den.
Source: NFPA Applied Research
If you have an accidental fire in your home or business you can depend on SERVPRO of Des Moines East & SW to help with your clean up needs.
When it Rains, It Pours - Water Clean Up Service
Rain can cause unseen damage getting into small cracks in your foundation or flooring, around windows, or even from non functioning sump pump systems which can lead to all sorts of damages if not addressed timely. Here at SERVPRO of Des Moines East and SW we understand how frustrating it can be to discover rain related water intrusions which are a leading cause of water damage to a home. The sooner mitigation and extraction of the standing water begins the better to prevent further damage. Identifying the source and preparing it is extremely crucial. We are a 24 hour, 7 day a week company and will work hard to get the issues resolved in a timely manner. With our professionally trained and certified team we are here to help and get your life back to normal as quickly as possible. Inspecting common leak sources routinely and looking at your exterior foundation can help prevent rain and surface runoff intrusions.
Storm Preparedness Tips -
SERVPRO of Des Moines East and SW is here to help clean up any storm related damage you experience. We are here to help though ahead of time to hopefully prevent damage from occurring. Storms often come quickly and without much notice, being prepared is crucial to avoid any unexpected storm damages.
Storm Preparedness Tips
- Protect Pipes from Freezing
- Caulk and weather strip windowsills to keep water and cold air out
- Get your heating source serviced and cleaned before the cold weather hits.
- Have a plan with your family as to what to do if a storm warning is issued.
- Bring your furry friends inside if possible.
- Have flashlights and extra batteries on hand.
- Keep dry clothes available for all family members.
- Check on friends and family and neighbors.
- Bring in any outdoor furniture that could possibly fly around.
- STAY CALM
Once the storm has past checking structural elements and utility services should be done as soon as safe to do so. If you notice any damages call a professional to assess the possible damages and make necessary repairs to prevent further damage from occurring.
Winter Weather Is Coming - Be Prepared With SERVPRO
SERVPRO of Des Moines East & SW recommends doing these steps to help prevent winter water damage. Winter is just around the corner. Now is the time to start preparing your home or business for cold temperatures.
- If you live in a modular home or a home with a crawl space, make sure your water pipes have a working heat trace system and your crawl space is properly insulated.
- Turn off water to all outside spigots and open outside faucets to drain water from water pipes. Make sure all hoses are disconnected from the outside spigots.
- Make sure your gutters are clean of all debris and leaves. This will help prevent ice jams from forming during warmer winter weather when the snow and ice are melting.
- If you have a basement, take a walk around the outside of your home, if the dirt is separated from your foundation in any area, take the necessary precautions to fill the gaps and encourage drainage away from the foundation. This will help water from seeping into your basement from the walls.
- Cover any window wells on the outside of your home to help prevent snow and ice from building up inside of them.
If winter water damage does occur in your home or business, please call SERVPRO immediately. The longer you wait to have the water remediation completed, the more damage you may have.